Bonita Springs Real Estate | Estero Florida
Homestead Exemption March 1 Deadline
Homestead Exemption is a constitutional benefit of $25,000 removed from the assessed value of your Lee County property, which includes the cities of Bonita Springs and Estero, Florida. It is granted to those applicants who timely file by March 1st, possess title to real property and are bona fide Florida residents living in the dwelling and making it their permanent home on January 1st. Bonita Springs and Estero Properties granted Homestead Exemption automatically receive the "Save Our Homes" benefit. For additional information about other exemptions for which you may qualify or for more information about Save our Homes, visit the Lee County Property Appraisers web site at www.leepa.org and select from the Exemption Information menu options. You can also find the info about homestead and other related exemptions here:
To be eligible to apply for the Homestead Exemption on-line you MUST meet the following qualifications:
- Be a US citizen
- Own and reside on the property as a permanent resident as of January 1st
- Provide the social security number for all applicants and the spouses of all applicants
- Have a permanent Florida Driver's License. (If you do not have a license in this or any other state, you must provide a Florida ID card. A "Florida Only" driver's license cannot be accepted.)
- Have Florida vehicle registration/license plates on your vehicle
- Be registered to vote in Lee County. If you are not registered to vote you must apply in person
- Sign an on-line statement that you do not claim any residency based ad-valorem tax exemption or tax credit in any other jurisdiction (in or out of Florida).
If you do not meet these qualifications you must apply in person. If you must apply in person, or if you wish to apply in person, their office is located at:
2480 Thompson Street, Fort Myers, Florida 33901. The telephone number is (239) 533-6150.